Culligan is the leading provider of installed water treatment systems and services for residential customers and commercial businesses. Culligan International is the parent company for 800+ Culligan franchise dealers across the U.S. and Canada.
“Hey! Culligan Man!” That ubiquitous phrase is still one of the most recognized brand taglines around. But the “delivery man” persona in ads and materials seemed dated and counter to the professional positioning Culligan needed in the new millennium.
CBD took the Culligan Man mainstream, leveraging paid, earned and owned media. We also aligned all PR and social media efforts to support SEO/SEM lead generation goals.
CBD’s PR and Social Media team treated the refreshed Culligan Man like a new product launch through a multimedia communications strategy targeting consumers and the company’s larger dealer network:
- Key messages were created relevant to the more upscale homeowner target the company wanted to attract
- A multi-media news release was distributed with assets including videos, photographs, infographics, timelines, social posts and others shareable information
- More than 800 Culligan franchise dealers received a communications toolkit with messaging for their local community media outlets
- CBD started, branded and populated social media platforms specific to the refreshed Culligan Man building audience with a “Better Water Wherever You Go” Facebook contest
- Marketing industry trade media got in on the excitement of a 75-year old brand re-inventing itself
Creating a big splash in a short timeframe was optimal, as was sharable content assets that could keep the buzz going at the local level where dealers did business.
- Over 200 million gross impressions in traditional and online media within a week of the launch
- Three videos created for the event—including the “History of the Culligan Man,” which began with vintage images and commercials—scored big on social media and video channels (mainstream and business press chimed in, too)
- A Times Square video board image of the new Culligan Man tipping his hat to the crowd was a huge hit with the local dealers and community press
- Ongoing work for the brand focused on SEO-rich custom content, news announcements, creating and building the company’s social media presence, and social media management
CBD PR & Social Media services:
- Launch videos (three)
- Informational product videos (four)
- Multi-media launch news release
- Press kit
- Media relations and news distribution
- Mat releases
- Social media content creation
- Social media publishing and community management
- Social media customer service
- Social marketing (Facebook contest)
- Blog content
- Tracking and ROI reporting