The Account Director leads client service and account planning operations for a group of accounts while driving organizational growth through organic – and sometimes new – business development.
Support and cultivation of existing client relationships through strategic planning and delivering new ideas is fundamental to the position. This requires clear sight and knowledge of all major client initiatives within the Agency. With this line of vision, the Account Director is responsible for the ultimate management of all client relationships for their accounts, both personally at high level and through team development and supervision.
The Account Director provides direction and management to account service staff supporting all accounts in her or his group; fostering collaboration amongst teams and disciplines within the Agency. By leading both through example and through proactive coaching, the Account Director supervises and allocates workflow, prioritization of efforts and the accuracy of the team’s work. This role also develops and implements staff training and performance reviews and is involved in determining short-and long-term resource requirements.
This role also develops and implements staff training and performance reviews and is involved in determining short- and long-term resource requirements.
In addition, the Account Director contributes to the Agency’s process management and improvement as it relates to client and Account Services. As a member of the agency’s senior team, the Account Director helps establish and meet agency client development and growth initiatives.
- Leadership capabilities that inspire others to achieve their best.
- Ability to lead account planning process.
- Thorough knowledge of brand development.
- Understanding of primary and secondary research and adept at delivering insights.
- Advanced understanding of media planning and buying. Have detailed knowledge and levels of expertise in media modes including direct mail, TV, radio, print, online advertising, email marketing, web development.
- Keen understanding of online and multimedia strategies and application including: online advertising, search engine marketing (consumer or vertical), rich media, web site utilization and emerging media.
- Advanced understanding of production methods, including online and multimedia.
- Extensive Account Management experience in a creative environment.
- Outstanding client service skills and practices. Ability to troubleshoot and resolve myriad client service issues.
- Proficient in authoring a full range of materials, especially strategic briefs and detailed proposals.
- Entrepreneurial mindset with new business development expertise.
- Experience in integrated marketing in both B2B and B2C environments.
- Superior leadership and collaboration skills.
- Outstanding at crafting and delivering presentations.
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm.
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills; diplomatic, cool under pressure.
- Good judgment with the ability to make timely and sound decisions.
- Creative, flexible, and innovative team player.
- Become a trusted partner and develop relationships at the top level of customer’s organizational structure, initiating and driving new and existing business.
- Maintain regular contact with appropriate client counterparts to insure agency is attuned to client needs, interests, ideas and acceptance of agency work.
- Apply customer-centric brand management philosophies to assist clients in developing long-term brand and marketing plans.
- Manage projects effectively and lead a team through the collaborative process of turning strategies into powerful, memorable campaigns.
- Conduct strategy input meetings to ascertain marketing goals and that lead to the development of responsive advertising and marketing programs, including marketing and communications plans.
- Conduct periodic program status meetings with client to gauge program effectiveness and recommend optimization efforts, and gauge future opportunities.
- Collaboratively work with the various internal teams (strategy, branding, research, creative, etc) to bring integrated agency value to each client.
- Identify opportunities and provide strategic counsel using the customer’s business and marketing objectives and the account team’s business objectives.
- Supervise account service staff and support development of all client projects.
- Oversee the creative development process to ensure work meets agency creative standards, is on time, on budget, on strategy and meets/exceeds client expectations.
- Instruct and coach team on presenting creative and strategic initiatives to client audiences.
- Maintain intimate familiarity with the client’s product(s), market conditions and competitors.
- Ensure team’s regular status reporting, internally and externally.
- Develop proactive business building ideas.
- Prepare and present final campaign analysis, successes and opportunities.
- Refine process for account service team to monitor, compile and report data and trends to help frame strategy and inform all decision-making.
- While primarily responsible for organic growth of their existing accounts by 10-20% each year, the Account Director also assists in new business development, including marketing planning, program development, RFP and proposal development, pitches, etc.
- Adhere to, and work to refine, agency processes and policies.
- Exemplify a team-player attitude, especially in challenging situations.
- Participate in identification and achievement of agency goals.
- Assist senior management in determining short- and long-term resource requirements.
- Ensure account profitability – oversee financial analysis including projections, estimates, ongoing billing and reconciliations.
- Monitor adherence to budgets, and direct revised estimates as necessary.
- Initiate billing upon project completion.
- Provide client reports and analysis to senior management.
- Lead identification of account service staff’s professional goals and development; set goals, conduct performance assessments, take corrective action and make promotion recommendations.
- Directly supervise all members of the account services team associated with their accounts, or jointly supervise those account team members who are co-reporting to another Account Director. This includes supervisors, account executives, coordinators and interns; train, support, craft job descriptions, delegate appropriately.